[Tweeters] 2023 Puget Sound Shorebird Count Announcement

Gavin Hughes ghughes at ecoinst.org
Wed Nov 15 11:38:52 PST 2023

Hi all,

I am excited to announce that the Ecostudies Institute will once again be
coordinating the annual Puget Sound Shorebird Count.
<https://ecoinst.org/conservation-programs/avian-conservation/puget-sound-shorebird-count/>
This event is part of the Pacific Flyway Shorebird Survey
<https://data.pointblue.org/apps/pfss/>, a long-term monitoring program for
wintering shorebirds led by Point Blue Conservation Science. Join a vast
network of volunteers and biologists along the Pacific Flyway that captures
a snapshot of wintering shorebird abundance each year. The data gathered
from these counts helps provide a better understanding of shorebird
populations and the habitats they utilize along the Pacific Flyway, while
allowing for the creation of more effective conservation management plans.

In 2022, a record number of 32 volunteers surveyed 22 sites and counted a
total of *27,567 shorebirds and 67 raptors*. Dunlins once again dominated
the shorebird count with over 22,942 individuals sighted, while the raptor
count was led by 46 Bald Eagles.

After an initial review of tide predictions, we will be conducting the 2023
count on *Saturday, December 9th* across all sites, including Samish,
Padilla, Fidalgo, Port Susan, and Skagit Bays and Whidbey Island. Our
backup survey date will be *December 23rd* if the weather and tidal
conditions on the 9th are not ideal.

If you are interested and available to help with the survey, please fill
out this Google Form <https://forms.gle/cRwvMyF4BJN2q9PRA> indicating your
interest and availability. We also recommend you review the protocols and
other resources
<https://ecoinst.org/conservation-programs/avian-conservation/puget-sound-shorebird-count/volunteer-resources-for-the-puget-sound-shorebird-count/>
on our website and information about the Pacific Flyway Shorebird Survey.
On the volunteer resources page, you will also find a recording of last
year’s virtual training event, which would be highly beneficial to review.
If you are new to this event or have any questions regarding this year’s
count, training, and/or protocols, please feel free to reach out to me (
ghughes at ecoinst.org) or Connor Tracey (ctracey at ecoinst.org).

We are also looking to recruit volunteers to assist with shorebird surveys
at Gray’s Harbor and Willapa Bay. These will be coordinated by the US Fish
and Wildlife Service and will take place on *Saturday, December 16th at
Gray’s Harbor* and *Saturday, December 2nd at Willapa Bay*. Those
interested in participating should contact Vanessa Loverti (
vanessa_loverti at fws.gov).

Thank you for your interest! We hope to hear from you and look forward to
this count this December!

Sincerely,

Gavin Hughes (*he/him*)

*Restoration & Outreach Coordinator – AmericorpsEcostudies Institute*