[Tweeters] Historical Perspective on Re-naming Birds

J Christian Kessler 1northraven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 16:19:38 PST 2023

Dennis --

when I wrote "just gibberish" I should have qualified to refer to the many
English speakers (only) would just call it by what they see - a blue jay.
and actually for many, deciphering the Latin & sometimes Greek roots is
more they are inclined - or maybe - know how to do. let's not assume all
come from areas or families where good educations or such opportunities are
readily available or encouraged. There are kids living not so far from us
who lack the tools, opportunities, or encouragement to follow your
example.

At least to me, what individual species are or are not called in other
spoken languages is not part of this debate. For all I know, non-European
root cultures don't name birds - or other organisms - after people. To the
extent that is true, good for them.

as to relegating Georg Steller "to the trash heap" I could not agree more.
and while Steller was an exemplary man, we should not relegate Audubon or
the other "bad" or "immoral" ones to the trash heap either -- just know
more about all sides of them. the part of "bird names for birds" that
offends me is that it sometimes seems to be about erasing the many who made
some good contributions along with bad or even evil contributions. We
should not forget those negative things - those deeds too are sadly part of
our heritage. And those who did them should not be forgiven, but neither
should they be erased.

Chris Kessler