[Tweeters] Historical Perspective on Re-naming Birds

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 17:12:59 PST 2023

Dennis,

Brilliant examples regarding the genus names! There are some gems there.

Sasin is Nuu-chah-nulth (Nootka) for hummingbird. When Allen's and Rufous
got split, sasin went to California with Allen's and Rufous got rufus. Go
figure. Indigenous words were often subject to mix up, though none so
glaring as Inca Dove for a bird that largely lives in Mexico! Pipixcan
(for Franklin's Gull) is Nahuatl (Aztec) for "gull." That's a bit of a
stretch for that species' range, though Franklin is hardly better - he was
an Arctic explorer. I'm still waiting for a pub trivia night about bird
names!

I was one of the members of the Ad Hoc Committee on English Bird Names that
made the recommendations to the AOS Council. I encourage people to look at
our report to them, especially pages 11-19. It's at
https://americanornithology.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/1-AOS-EBNC_recommendations_23_10_19.pdf

I don't know their timeline, but the basic plan is to have a new committee
oversee a process that will involve the public in suggesting new names.
I've seen some wonderful creative suggestions online, and I hope this
becomes an opportunity for more people to learn about birds.

good birding,

On Wed, Nov 22, 2023 at 4:39 PM Dennis Paulson <dennispaulson at comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]

>> Seattle

>> On Nov 22, 2023, at 12:52 PM, J Christian Kessler <1northraven at gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> Ludlow Griscom’s article is interesting, and makes some good points, but

>> it essentially boils down to two thoughts:

>> Perfection is impossible as we don’t – and probably will never - know a

>> comprehensive and accurate taxonomy of birds. Both scientific

>> understanding and common naming are so muddled as to be beyond repair.

>> Birders can learn Linnean binomials as well as they can learn English

>> “common names.”

>> As to the first, I totally agree. One thing biology has proven over the

>> past century is that a “correct” taxonomy of Aves – or any class – is a

>> constantly shifting target. Any class is a tree with many tangles, or

>> worse. Olympic Gull is but one example. Even a species like Chat is in

>> some respects anomalous. “Best current judgement” is a useful criterion

>> – “perfect” is not.

>> As to whether birders can or should learn and use Linnean binomials,

>> common English language names are for more than avocationally intense

>> birders. A much wider audience is involved here. For example, I

>> frequently hear “backyard birders” and others refer to our local jay as a

>> “blue jay” rather than Steller’s Jay. They never heard of Georg

>> Steller, don’t care, and just know the jay had a blue body. But

>> Black-headed Jay would be a name they are more likely to remember and use.

>> Cyanocitta stelleri is gibberish and tells them nothing. And it doesn’t

>> tell us serious birders much either – it’s just the same name with more

>> syllables for "jay".

>> Many people, including most birders, I suspect, are always going to use

>> English language names for birds. Many of us started as kids finding birds

>> interesting; “Mom, I saw a jay” versus “Mom, I saw a Cyanocitta.” We

>> can make common bird names more friendly, and sometimes more enlightening,

>> while understanding that “always getting it right” is aspirational.

>> Chris Kessler,

>> Seattle

>> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 2:38 PM Jon. Anderson and Marty Chaney <

>> festuca at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Bob Righter from Denver posted this on the Colorado birding chat group.

>>> I thought it might be an interesting read for those of us who are

>>> 'anxiously' awaiting action from the AOS on revising the Common Names of

>>> birds that are named after People.

>>> "From chatter on the internet emerges an interesting article by Ludlow

>>> Griscom written in 1947 “Common Sense in Common names.” Griscom, was a

>>> power house in the early 1900s and greatly influenced Roger Tory Peterson.

>>> The full article can be accessed through Google. I’ve taken the liberty of

>>> just featuring the last paragraph which I thought was the most poignant to

>>> our conversation on Bird Names:

>>> "NO “simple and logical principles” for vernacular nomenclature can be

>>> formulated. There are far too many birds; their variations, relationships,

>>> and ranges are not simple or logical. Their habits and habitats change from

>>> season to season, from one section of the continent to another, from

>>> century to century. Which season, which habitat, which section of the

>>> country is to be the basis for the “appropriate or associative” name?"

>>> The article can be read at

>>> https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/wilson/v059n03/p0131-p0138.pdf

>>> Enjoy!

>>> - Jon. Anderson

>>> Olympia

>>> Tweeters mailing list

>>> Tweeters at u.washington.edu

>> --

>> "moderation in everything, including moderation"

>> Rustin Thompson

> --

> ​Steve Hampton​

> Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)