[Tweeters] Renaming birds, and other things

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 08:05:31 PST 2023

Having been around birds and birders (and other living things) for a really long time I find the name changing interesting. The common names seem to change very regularly; just look at old field guides. I believe that some of the changes are warranted to better describe the bird, its range, its behavior, whatever. I also see value in changing names that actually give offense such as Oldsquaw. But I have a harder time when the change is more virtue signaling by expecting that if we are going to name something after a person that person had to be perfect in all ways.

I wonder, too, at what will happen to names like "King Kong Finch". That name started as a joke that became popular and is now in both the common and Latin name.

Another conversion that strikes me as funny is that the name of the Crested Honeycreeper in Hawaii was changed to Akohekohe, the name given by the Hawaiians. Translated, that apparent refers to female gentalia; would we support that in English?

Hal Michael
Board of Directors,Ecologists Without Borders (http://ecowb.org/)
Olympia WA
360-459-4005