[Tweeters] Renaming birds, and other things

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 09:25:45 PST 2023

The thoughtful comments of all posters on this subject are appreciated.

I’m reminded of a comment made to me by someone who knew nothing about birding, bird names, or much natural history in general, and definitely nothing about the historical personages associated within. She told me that she was surprised to learn recently that “Audubon” was a person. She thought “audubon” was French for “birdwatcher”!

As for myself, I have used the common bird names for so long that I am irrevocably biased toward continuing to do so and thus not qualified to weigh in on the topic. Others with clearer minds and histories can better inform the discussion and process. I will happily comply with the result.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA