[Tweeters] Renaming birds, and other things

HAL MICHAEL ucd880 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 13:06:28 PST 2023

I find that what people call things varies with the group. Certainly there are official names but how many use Butterbut or PIGU or Sprig or Can or Hollywood Mallard or Hummingduck and so on. The name is there to convey information about what you saw/heard.

I know, too, that while there are times when my group may have our own name for something that we will use the official name when calling it to some other folks' attention.

One problem with changing the name and consigning the older name(s) to the dustbin of history is that historic literature review becomes more difficult when names are lost or changed.

Hal Michael
Board of Directors,Ecologists Without Borders (http://ecowb.org/)
Olympia WA
360-459-4005