[Tweeters] Historical Perspective on Re-naming Birds

Roger Craik r_craik at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 26 15:42:13 PST 2023

Hi Michael and Tweets

"There are more 34 First Nation languages in British Columbia,
representing more than half of all First Nation languages in Canada"
Then, there's the US and Mexico.

Not quite sure how you would rationalize incorporating of all this prior
knowledge into a compendium of bird names familiar across North America
or the rest of the world, for that matter.

Just for starters whose name would be picked for what bird? Lots of
potential for offending different groups there. Do we identify birds by
habitat, geography or human cultural areas?

This whole discussion looks more like trying to take the fun out of
birding as opposed to doing anything productive.

Roger Craik
Maple Ridge BC