[Tweeters] I've got more names for the dump

Ed Newbold ednewbold1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 26 15:57:29 PST 2023

Hi all,
This name changing thing could be just what bird-love, I mean bird-conservation needs. Everyone gets interested, pro or con, and people on both sides are moved to eloquence, and I don't know anyone who fully realizes just how true it is when they say: "There is no such thing as bad publicity."
I want to suggest another group of names for the trash heap. Common Nighthawk, Common Tern, Common Loon, Common Eider, Common Ground-dove, Common Goldeneye, Common Black-Hawk, Common Grackle, you get the point. I see epic struggles in the future needed to save some of these birds from extinction and it makes it harder to be an advocate when you are trying to tell someone who is not up to speed that the Common so-and-so is very rare and desperately needs your help.
Also, I get that a whole lot of people know and use this name but what about Booby? Can we get this changed right away? This is based on an insult, not of an oppressed group for once but to the bird itself as I understand. Years ago when I was trying to experiment with creating my own little news-service I put out a press release saying that a Brown Booby had just been spotted in Washington and sent it to all the major news outlets.  All I heard back were a few snickers.
I do think that new names should be good. Can we go to aboriginal languages?  Can we take the time to find really good names? I used to love the name Blue Grouse, and now I can't stand it when I have to say Dusky or Sooty, they are just crappy names in my opinion.

Thanks all!
Ed Newbold Beacon Hill Seattle, WA twee