[Tweeters] Fwd: Rebuttal Petition to the AOS

Carmelo Quetell melocq22 at msn.com
Wed Nov 29 10:02:36 PST 2023

For the sake of time, let's get straight to the elephant in the room:

Dennis, while your contributions (and the contributions of countless others past and present) are greatly respected and appreciated in the worlds of birding, academia, and science (I personally love your field guide Shorebirds of North America: The Photographic Guide), you did not "discover" anything. The people who were memorialized with these eponymous bird names did not "discover" anything.

You can't "discover" an autonomous, sentient being that people have been naming and forming connections with all over the continent and around the world since time immemorial. The very belief and sentiment that you or anyone "discovered" a species, consciously or subconsciously, attempts to take away the sovereignty of that being. It also perpetuates the ideology and harm that the Doctrine of Discovery and Manifest Destiny have been afflicting upon the least of these for the last 600 years.

Granted, it's just birding and bird names. It's the not the mass genocide committed against Native Americans across North/Central/South America and the Carribean. It's the not the Atlantic Slave Trade. It's not the atrocities committed against Asiatic peoples in the United States. It's not the colonization of Hawaii, Guam, or the Philippines by the US. It's also not equivalent to the Holocaust or the plight of the Irish.

HOWEVER, while this whole topic is incredibly benign compared to any of these major world events, the circumstances by which these people "discovered" these birds and the backlash that this commitment by the AOS is starting to unveil is ROOTED in the aforementioned ideologies. It is the very reason why people talk about decolonizing this or that. I believe it's exactly why the AOS wants to make the bird names about the birds.

And no, the Latin names are not going to be affected by these commitements. Yes, the public will be included and engaged in the process. No, landmarks/states/highways/counties/cities/etc. are not going to be renamed as a result of the AOS commitments because that was never within the purview of the ad-hoc committee. If renaming the Ring-necked Duck does not even fall under the scope of these commitments, why do people even try to bring that up in the first place? It's wild. Nobody is coming for your town, or your syrup, or your football team. They will all continue to exist.

If people would just read the proposal that Steve Hampton so graciously shared on multiple occasions, and actually sat with it and whatever came up for them somatically/emotionally for a little while, they would possibly realize that all their fear, anger, and resentment is not necessary and definitely not worth blowing through everyone else in the birding community, especially the visibly melanated birders.

There's so much talk from those who oppose these commitments about how they support equity and justice in the birding community yet look at all their talking points. How many of you would actually support including Mexico and Puerto Rico in the ABA Area<file:///C:/Users/meloc/OneDrive/Desktop/What%20Is%20American%20Birding.pdf>? How many of you are citing other birding organizations who are currently digging their heels in or being too cowardly to speak up as justification for your opposition?

How many of you are playing the victim despite the advantages you have over others in the birding community who have just as much if not more talent, drive, and ability as you? How many of you are projecting your fears of not belonging in an era where people get "cancelled" online? How many people, because of their identity, have been cancelled long before social media even existed?

People ask, "What's the difference between Equity and Justice?" The salmon are easily our teachers when it comes to answering this question. Equity is building them a fish ladder. Justice is tearing down the dam. These commitments by the AOS are merely some of the initial cracks in that damn. Let the river flow freely.