[Tweeters] Fwd: Rebuttal Petition to the AOS

Steve Loitz steveloitz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 10:35:23 PST 2023

Well stated, Carmelo.

Several decades ago, I taught school on an Anishinaabe (aka Ojibwe or
Chippewa) reservation. During a walk with one of the tribal elders, I saw a
COHA and said, "there's a Cooper's Hawk." The elder asked me to spell
"Cooper's," which I did. He responded that his people would never use a
possessive modifier to describe a natural being or thing, and that the
apostrophe was a manifestation of human chauvinism, a claim of ownership by
one individual of one species over another species. He then spoke of the
Judeo-Christian myth system, which is based on the premise that humans were
created in the image of a deity, that humans are somehow apart from nature
and thus have the right to exercise dominion over nature.

That walk with the Anishinaabe elder sparked a change in my world view.
Years later, I read Frederick Turner's *Beyond Geography: The Western
Spirit Against the Wilderness* and other writings which led to refining my
world view, which, in turn, allowed me to more greatly appreciate nature,
wild things and wild places, eventually leading me to live a life of
exploring wilderness, i.e., those rare places which escaped alteration by
human civilization, and where modern humans are mere visitors. I came to
believe that naming wild things and wild places for humans is an exercise
in human hubris. The notion that an individual human "discovers" a bird
species is no less absurd than the claim that Columbus discovered the
Americas.

I once hoped that humans might get over themselves, but this debate
confirms my belief that can never happen. Changing eponym bird names will
be a royal PITA for we old-timer birds, but maybe it's a small step forward
towards a new enlightenment of our place in nature.

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg

Steve Loitz
Ellensburg, WA