[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic, Sept.29,2023

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Mon Oct 2 16:14:02 PDT 2023

A re-scheduled trip from Wednesday the 27th, was greeted by a full moon and a great sunrise with Mt. Rainier’s top showing in the distance. Several birders from New Jersey, one from Canada and the rest from Washington completed a full boat. The ocean was a little lumpy going out but visibility was great! We were able to find two shrimp boats by the continental self, which added several sought after pelagic birds. Our chum spot attracted a few birds with great looks at Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels and Black-footed Albatross. On our way back, we had the waves behind us which made for good viewing.

This was our next to last trip of the year and provided many exciting moments. One was a bird soaring and banking like a Shearwater or a Petrel at a good distance. Several opinions were made, one which we all wanted, was a Wedge-tailed Shearwater! Yelling to get all photographers to start clicking madly, provided some photos to be looked at later. Alas! The next day clearly showed the bird to be a Long-tailed Jaeger, which is a pretty good sighting but not the rarity.

Another memorable sighting was when one of the spotters had not seen a whale or a spout all day. We had encountered a few, often at a distance. So, as we got closer to shore, a huge Gray Whale popped up right in front of the boat, eye spotting us with half of it’s body out of the water. I think everyone, including the teased spotter, saw the whale after many gasps at the spectacle.

Highlights include the following: Black-footed Albatross-22, Northern Fulmar-182, Buller’s Shearwater-24, Short-tailed Shearwater-11, Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel-106, Marbled Godwits-1000 and Willet-4(in the harbor), Red Phalarope-20, all the jaegers plus 10 South Polar Skuas, Black-legged Kittiwake-1, Sabine’s Gull-4 and 2 lost Golden-crowned Kinglets and 1 Varied Thrush out at sea.

For a full list of our sightings and other information, please visit www.westportseabirds.com.

Many thanks to all who came aboard from near and far all year.

Spotters were Scott Mills, Bill Shelmerdine and myself. Captain was Chris Savin (filling in for Phil) and first mate Chris Anderson.

Bruce LaBar
Tacoma, WA.