[Tweeters] WinterRaptorSurvey Project

Jeff Fleischer raptorrunner97321 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 16:39:34 PDT 2023

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jeff Fleischer and I am project developer / coordinator for the Winter Raptor Survey Project sponsored by the East Cascades Audubon Society based in Bend, OR. Last winter we wound up surveying 551 routes covering more than 32,000 miles of transects throughout all of OR, ID, WA, the northern portions of CA and UT, and western MT. A total of 450+ volunteers survey these routes once a month during December thru February with additional optional survey months available for November and March.

We are about to enter our 20th survey season and I have several routes in your state that need a volunteer to do surveys and I would be grateful if some of you would like to take on a route or two this winter :) I have done these route advertisements on Tweeters in the recent past and have been successful in securing help, hopefully some of you will keep that success going:)

Here is the list of routes with their corresponding lengths:

Brush Prairie - Battle Ground 55 miles
Washougal - Fern Prairie 42
Raymond - Holcomb 53
Aberdeen 37
Oakville 56
Centralia East 58
Centralia West 62
Winlock 59
Boistfort - Pe Ell 64
Kingston - Marrowstone 104
White Swan East 73
Wapato 67
Toppenish West 76
Deer Park 75
Wilbur 96
Almira North 60
Almira South 85
Odessa SW 91
Prosser South 91
Prosser West 91
Touchet North 62
Walla Walla East 53
Pullman SW 73

There are only a few requirements to participate:

1. I ask that volunteers commit to doing one survey per month for the three primary months of December thru February, surveys can also be done in November and March but these are optional months. More than one survey can also be done for any given month as an additional option

2. Volunteers should be comfortable with IDing the common species of raptors in your chosen area and be willing to increase your knowledge of these regal birds

3. You should have at least a pair of binoculars to help you spot and ID birds, a spotting scope would be nice to have but not a requirement

4. Survey dates are determined by each volunteer based on their monthly life schedules and hopefully to skirt inclement weather when birds can be sheltered and out of view

If this sounds like something you would like to do, please email me as soon as you can with your choice of route(s), to be fair I will fill the routes on a first come first served basis. I will then provide you with the necessary material to get you properly prepared for what you will be doing:)

I would really like to make this 20th season something special and filling these routes will be a big part of that effort, looking forward to hearing from you soon, thank you :)

Jeff Fleischer
Project Developer / Coordinator
Winter Raptor Survey Project
East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, OR