Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 12 16:05:41 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets -
With Michael still away, the rest of us combined forces to cover the weekly Marymoor walk today.
As with last week, there was quite a bit of fog, and it remained overcast for the first half of the walk - later in the morning things cleared up and we even got to see our shadows for a bit [gasp]. Birds were pretty active and vocal today, even if sometimes hard to see in the early hours- no big rarities popped out, but it was an enjoyable day,

Highlights:
* Greater Yellowlegs - 1 heard flying around over the lake
* Ruby-crowned Kinglets - definitely back and active now
* Varied Thrush - at least 3 heard, including one in roughly the same spot for 3 weeks running, at the s end of the dog park.
* Evening Grosbeak - fly-by heard only group was our first in quite some time
* Pine Siskin - also heard only, but another finch species that has been absent for quite a while
* add in House Finch, American Goldfinch and Purple Finch and we had a 5 finch day - not common lately at Marymoor.

Misses included Bald Eagle & Lincoln’s Sparrow - and our Osprey finally seem to have departed for the winter. Also on the mammal front we only had E. Gray Squirrel for our mammal list today.

For the day, about 51 species

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA