[Tweeters] Channel Drive, Skagit County, 9.1.23

MARVIN BREECE marvbreece at q.com
Sat Sep 2 07:22:51 PDT 2023

Yesterday , 9.1.23, was the most spectacular day of shorebirding I have experienced in 18 years of visiting Channel Drive in Skagit County. Both in terms of number of species and total number of birds. I observed 12 species of shorebirds, as well as 2 juv PEREGRINES. I saw one RUFF. Other birders saw 2 together. I have never seen so many LESSER YELLOWLEGS in one place in my 45 years or so of birding. Here's a list:

Killdeer - 1 Usually in greater numbers at this location and often the only shorebird at all
Short-billed Dowitcher
Long-billed Dowitcher
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs - I gave up on trying to count them
Semipalmated Sandpiper -1 (and I suspect there were more)
Western Sandpiper - numbers
Least Sandpiper - 6 or so
Baird's Sandpiper - 1 made a very brief showing
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
Stilt Sandpiper - 3
Ruff - 1

Video of Ruff in context - https://flic.kr/p/2oZnHTS