[Tweeters] "The Autumnal Recrudescence of the Amatory Urge"

Elaine Chuang elc at u.washington.edu
Sun Sep 10 06:43:47 PDT 2023

Have you been hearing bird song or observing somewhat unseasonal behavior lately? Over the last month or so, we have begun to enjoy an annual avian phenomenon based upon partial reactivation of breeding behavior. Whether triggered by the effects of changing light levels on birdy hormones (the prevailing explanation) or other factors, the shift has poetically become known as,"The Autumnal Recrudescence of the Amatory Urge.” This year, may we honor Susan Stiles, who 30 years ago gave us this lovely bit of verse (thank you Dennis Paulson and Teri Martine):

"The Autumnal Recrudescence of the Amatory Urge" - by Susan Stiles (December 1973)

When the birds are cacaphonic in the trees and on the verge
Of the fields in mid-October when the cold is like a scourge.
It is not delight in winter that makes feathered voices surge,
But autumnal recrudescence of the amatory urge.

When the frost is on the punkin' and when leaf and branch diverge,
Birds with hormones reawakened sing a paean, not a dirge.
What's the reason for their warbling? Why on earth this late-year splurge?
The autumnal recrudescence of the amatory urge.

In my humble opinion, the scientifically best and yet ‘readable’ article (2016) on the general topic, is by the wonderful “GrrlScientist: ”Why do songbirds sing in autumn? Many songbirds sing in autumn. If these birds aren’t breeding in the autumn, then why are they singing?

https://medium.com/@GrrlScientist/why-do-songbirds-sing-in-the-autumn-grrlscientist-2017eeec7e03 <https://medium.com/@GrrlScientist/why-do-songbirds-sing-in-the-autumn-grrlscientist-2017eeec7e03> (https://about.me/grrlscientist <https://about.me/grrlscientist>)

Elaine Chuang
Seattle