[Tweeters] Odd Knot at Bottle Beach, WA

Lin Stern lindseysarahstern at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 12:12:57 PDT 2023

Hello all!

Yesterday while leading a group, we came across an odd looking Knot at Bottle Beach. It was originally spotted by Ellen and Andy (not sure of their last names) but I had a great time chatting with them. Our initial impression was Red Knot due to size, legs, and that being the most likely option. Additionally, the bird had a red breast but we are mostly certain that this is due to some kind of stain. The bird seemed funky and I shared with with the Thurston&Gray's Harbor RBA Whatsapp group, which spurred lots of discussion. Firstly, the bill seemed very odd. It was a bit too long, narrow, and perfectly straight or even slightly upturned at the tip at some angles. WhatsApp group members pointed out that the black centers of the feathers on the back. I have attached an eBird link with photos to this message (which I hope will work, if not I'm the list is visible from eBird and has the bird listed as shorebird sp.).

I am thinking it is him just a funny Red Knot, but there was some discussion that it could be promising for Great Knot. I would like further confirmation and discussion to see what others think, since that would be absolutely wild if it were.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say. Thank you Ellen and Andy for getting our eyes on this odd bird!