[Tweeters] Raptors at play -Falconer/Raptor Breeders Viewpoint

Mark Borden markbordenmd at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 23:57:44 PDT 2023

Hello from Whidbey Tweeters,

For the last 17 years I have witnessed (almost every year) a passage (imm.) female Coopers Hawk playing with the flock of crows on the eastern fence of our horse pasture. The coops will take turns chasing the crows, then being chased by them. It is always an immature coopers, and always a female. I have many videos of this behavior if anyone is interested.

Three years ago I witnessed a daily play session involving a Merlin falcon, a male kestrel, and an immature female Sharp Shinned Hawk. I watched in awe for about 30 minutes the first time before remembering to video record, but then got some good “footage.” I was a bit concerned that the kestrel might be in danger initially, as it was just the Kestrel and sharpie, but then the Merlin (in a tree all along) joined in.

I have raised (from young Downey stage) Coopers and Goshawks, and as big downies and branchers both species are more playful (video available on request) than either young peregrines or Prairie Falcons. Gyrfalcons are more playful than either of those falcon species. I cannot speak on Merlins, never having raised an eyass Merlin.

The Peregrine/Prairie hybrids I have raised seemed more playful than either of their parents, but there is substantial variation between hybrids (as with mules).

As a falconer I treasure the inter species interaction, as it shows me what the birds are capable of, and makes comparisons otherwise unavailable, possible.

Mark Borden MD
Coupeville, WA.
360-632-7484

Sent from my iPhone