birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 14 13:07:24 PDT 2023

Tweets - We where hoping for a better day than last week, but our success was hampered by significant fog that lasted until we got to the Lake Platform.  Seeing was very problematic, and the fog even seemed to be muting the calls to a great extent.  We are on the cusp of the change-over from lingering summering birds to returning winter birds, though it seems as if the former have been leaving early while the latter are taking their time showing up.  And random migrants and vagrants are not yet to be found.

Highlights:
    Eurasian Collared-Dove - One flew down the East Meadow
    Vaux's Swift - 10-12 near the lake
    Osprey - Saw one of this year's young perched over the slough
    Barn Owl - A couple of East Meadow sightings before 6:30.  Third week in a row
    American Pipit - Several flyovers
    Lincoln's Sparrow - 2+, First of Fall (FOF)
    Black-throated Gray Warbler - At least one, but our only warbler species besides Common Yellowthroat

Overall numbers seemed very low today.

Misses included Hooded Merganser, Green Heron, Red-tailed Hawk, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Swallow, Golden-crowned Sparrow (often back this week), Orange-crowned Warbler, and Yellow Warbler.

For the day, 48 species.  Still a super low count, but better than last week.

The Celebration of Life for Brian Bell is next Thursday, after the survey (11 a.m., at the Velodrome Shelter).

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm