[Tweeters] rare birds are too conspicuous!

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 17 11:37:51 PDT 2023

Hello tweets,

I was among a large group of birders at Tokeland yesterday who witnessed a Peregrine Falcon scare up the big flock of godwits at the marina at 11:25 am. The falcon singled out a bird from the flock and pursued it. The godwit dropped into the water and the falcon missed, but it made a long circling flight and came back after it, pursuing it along the water and then up and up into the air, heading to the south until both were out of sight. There was some thought that it was the single Hudsonian Godwit that had been with the flock, but we weren’t absolutely sure.

I took very distant photos of the whole affair, and looking at them just now, I can confirm that it was in fact the Hudsonian that the Peregrine was after. The white rump and black tail are clearly visible as the godwit flew away, the falcon in hot pursuit.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle