[Tweeters] rare birds are too conspicuous!

Dan Reiff dan.owl.reiff at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 16:18:32 PDT 2023

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for the post.
That must have been a great thing to experience!
I hope the godwit made it!
Was it a juvenile or adult Peregrine?
I hope it was a hatch year bird with less hunting experience.

Also, someone reported seeing an unusually large number of Willets there. Did you?

I understand a hunting falcon will have a higher probability of success If one of the birds in the flock is acting differently from the others, breaks from the group or has noticeably different size and coloration.

In the past, I’ve spent many days filming Merlin and Peregrine falcon hunting groups of shorebirds on the coast. One of my observations was that when a falcon first attacked multiple species flocks-feeding together-they panicked and flew out over the ocean waves, they would immediately form species specific groups, independent of the others.
When a falcon would pursue one species group, the others would return to the beach, and again begin feeding.
On one occasion, as I was filming a large group of Godwits , Dunlin and Semipalmated Plovers feeding together at OS, a Merlin passed me from behind and put up the whole group. The falcon targeted the Dunlin, which had in panic, broken into two groups,
Up to 200 feet apart. Even as the nearer group was being repeatedly stooped, the second group, instead of flying away, came back to rejoin the first group as the Merlin continued to stoop and eventually isolated an individual and flew away with it to eat it-150 feet away-from all of the species groups which resumed feeding together at the same location.
I found that to be very interesting.

Thanks again,
Dan Reiff

Sent from my iPhone