[Tweeters] mtn/urban birds

David B. Williams wingate at seanet.com
Tue Sep 26 15:06:01 PDT 2023

Greetings. I have been thinking about the relationship between urban birds and mountains birds. When I am up in the mountains, I often see some of the birds of my Seattle yard, such as juncos, robins, and black-capped chickadees. It’s my understanding that “my” yard birds do not migrate up to the mountains. Is this correct?

In contrast, I believe that the varied thrushes I see in my yard do migrate up to the Cascades. Is this correct?

Any insights on the connection between birds seen in the Cascades ones in the urban/Puget lowland landscape would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
David
David B. Williams
www.geologywriter.com
Free newsletter: https://streetsmartnaturalist.substack.com/
I live and work on the land of the Coast Salish peoples and am trying to honor with gratitude the land and those who have inhabited it since time immemorial. I know that I have much more to learn and hope to continue that journey.