[Tweeters] mtn/urban birds

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Tue Sep 26 15:14:40 PDT 2023

Hi David,

You are correct, although I wouldn’t have thought Black-capped Chickadees were very high in the mountains. How high have you seen them? Robins can be highly migratory, but I don’t know if our birds that are here only in the winter come from the north or—perhaps—some down from the mountains. It’s not good robin habitat up there in the winter!

We get other wintering birds in Seattle such as Sharp-shinned Hawks, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers, Golden-crowned and Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Hermit Thrushes, Townsend’s and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and more. Again, I don’t know if some of them may be moving downslope as well as southward. Indeed Varied Thrushes are in that category, but do ours come from above or to the north?

Red-breasted Sapsuckers are not very migratory but are known to move down from higher elevations in some winters.

Dennis Paulson
Seattle