[Tweeters] Lessons Learned from a Trail Cam

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sat Feb 3 08:16:30 PST 2024

Hi,

A little over a year ago I asked on this forum about using a trail
cam for my backyard.
So I bought one, set it up covering my fountain ... and promptly
forgot about it. Last
week - a year later - I retrieved the card in order to process the
images. To remind,
we live in Burlington and do not have a lot of native conifers near our house.

The first lesson is "Don't Let It Go That Long Again" ... there
were almost 11,000
images on it! (Yes, that is -eleven- thousand roughly a thousand a month.)

So I started looking at them using the 'dumb' image viewer in
Windoze - and quickly
learned that about 2/3rds of the images can be instantly eliminated
due to the trail
cam either not capturing the bird (flown out of frame before shutter
tripped) or the
shot was 'unsuable' due to lighting (esp. back lit) or other quick
reasons. So I
started going thru them and getting rid of the easy ones ... I'm about
half way so
far. I intend to complete this first pass before I move on to
selecting a few and
seeing how they stand up to "post processing".

The lessons learned:

1) The smallest birds (passerines and hummers) are usually images
that are too
small to be of much use as images ... but relatively easy to ID
the bird(s).

2) It is common for the smaller birds to "share" the fountain with
each other, no
matter what species - but as soon as a much larger bird such as
a flicker or
Stellar's shows up they leave. Often just moving to the nearby
bush to wait.
Individual birds can be 'aggressive/territorial' and attempt
to chase off
others - sometimes chasing a competitor results in a 3rd or 4th
bird using
that time to use the fountain ... *G*. This
aggressive/territorial behavior
does not seem to be related to species - it is more of a "this
is MY fountain".

3) Exceptions to #2 is that the smaller birds will happily share
the fountain
with both species of doves (Mourning and Asian Ringed-Neck).
And they will
always share with Towhees and usually with robins or waxwings. Usually.
In general. (you get my drift).

4) Northern Flickers visit the fountain much more often than I knew.

5) There is a Cooper's Hawk (more than one?) that visited every 2 or 3 days
last summer for an extended time (weeks dragging out into months).
I even have some shots of it consuming smaller birds while sitting on
the fountain - but none of it actually making the kill so I don't know
if it caught the bird on the fountain or brought it there.

6) There is much more of a "seasonal aspect" than I expected -
where a particular
species is present for weeks/months at a time ... but not at other times
of the year. I expected some ... just not as much as is obvious.

7) Birds seen at our fountain are: finches (all varieties),
Chickadees, Juncos,
sparrows, Robins, Towhees, waxwings, flickers, Stellar's, grosbeaks,
waxwings, nuthatches, and Cooper's.

8) Birds -not- seen were: Kestrel, gulls, jays other than Stellar's, large
raptors (eagles, buteos, vultures, owls, etc.), pipits, kingbirds,
larks. Etc. Since I am only about half way thru the first pass I'm
still hopeful some of these will be added to the "seen" list. Also
no crows/ravens or woodpeckers other than flickers.

9) The camera images are good - but no where near as good as I get from my
birding camera (Lumix until late May and then R7). Still useful.

10) I got some images that are welcome surprises - such as a very close up
(full frame or more) when the birds flew directly at/past the
trail cam or
perched in the bush right in front of it. The fountain is about 4 feet
from the trail cam - that bush less than 2.

11) Most of the species use the fountain for bathing and not just
for getting a
drink. Often these images are "fun" because the bird's feathers
are often
in large disarray.

12) The one thing I hope to change is the shutter speed - at 1/30th it is too
slow to capture many of the images and the bird is completely blurred.
But sometimes, even if it is not a hummer, the bird in flight will be
either frozen or everything-but-the-wings frozen.

13) I also got images of non-avian visitors ... mostly deer. And some where
the camera tripped after dark and the image is from infrared emitted by
the trail cam.

I consider this to be a very useful tool - and I'll continue the
"experiment".
I might reposition the camera to also capture the hummers at their nectar
feeder.
- Jim in Burlington