birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Feb 8 14:13:18 PST 2024

Tweets - A pleasant morning at the park, with temps in the low 40's, and only a touch of mizzle for a few minutes.
Highlights:     Cackling Goose - Numbers are down from the thousands earlier in the winter to a few dozen     American Wigeon - Lone female in the Rowing Club pond
     Ring-billed Gull - Total of at least 30 birds     Accipiter spp. - Two seen briefly. One might have been a Sharpie.  The 2nd bird seemed bigger.  Mobbed by crows.
     Barred Owl - One loud "Hoo-aw" along the slough pre-dawn     NORTHERN SHRIKE - One briefly visible north of Fields 7-8-9.  First of Year (FOY)
     Yellow-rumped Warbler - About 10.  I saw over half of them well, and all were Myrtle type
A pair of Canada Geese were in the eagle nest visible from the Lake Platform.  Though built within the last two years, I don't believe eagles have ever nested in this nest.  Possibly because there are already two nests in the park.  Let's see if the geese can hold the nest.
River Otters were in the slough (FOY).
A late scan of the lake was very successful, adding 5 species for the day.  A female BELTED KINGFISHER was atop the beaver lodge across from the Lake Platform.  Also near there were a pair of HOODED MERGANSER.  Just beyond the buoys was a shining male GREATER SCAUP (FOY).  COMMON MERGANSERS and RING-NECKED DUCKS were off to the east.
Notable misses today were limited to just Marsh Wren and White-crowned Sparrow.
For the day, 55 species, and we're at 68 species for 2024.
= Michael Hobbs= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm