[Tweeters] Truly special habitat - or just 'learned locations'?

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 08:44:39 PST 2024

Dennis et al,

You're probably right about climate change and Rough-legged Hawks (and
perhaps Northern Shrike as well).

A paper showed pronounced northward winter range retraction of Rough-legged
Hawks, pretty close to the rate of climate velocity (the rate at which
temperature avgs are shifting north).

Paprocki et al. 2014. Regional Distribution Shifts Help Explain Local
Changes in Wintering Raptor Abundance: Implications for Interpreting
Population Trends. *PLoS ONE 9*(1): e86814.

>From the abstract: "We examined the latitudinal center of abundance for

the winter distributions of six western North America raptor species using
Christmas Bird Counts from 1975–2011. Also, we considered whether
population indices within western North America Bird Conservation Regions
(BCRs) were explained by distribution shifts. All six raptors had
significant poleward shifts in their wintering distributions over time.
Rough-legged Hawks (Buteo lagopus) and Golden Eagles (Aquila chrysaetos)
showed the fastest rate of change, with 8.41 km yr−1 and 7.74 km yr−1
shifts, respectively."

The eBird Trends maps for RLHA seem to support this as well.

good birding,

​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)