[Tweeters] MX monster roost

Larry Schwitters leschwitters at me.com
Sat Feb 17 10:52:42 PST 2024

I know Tweeters focus is on Washington State but………..Our Vaux’s Happening Audubon project has done well in locating the wee birds communal migratory roost sites in Western North America all the way down to the Mexican border. But have only been able to ID and monitor one roost in all of Mexico. Why, or is that why not? One reason might be half of Mexico's migratory Vaux’s are spending their winter nights
at one location. Just got short exit and entrance videos and I've never seen anything like it. Got an almost local to do a first to last bird in count estimate that totaled 122,000. There are two large industrial smoke stacks there but only one was used. Word is that on nights when there are a lot of swifts both stacks are used. Here’s a link to an in spanish musical video of the town, with a bit of its history.

Swifts show up about two minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkfn2obIquQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkfn2obIquQ>

Larry Schwitters
Issaquah