[Tweeters] SwanRise 24 Feb 2024 - Barney Lake - Event Report

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Feb 25 18:10:41 PST 2024

Hi all,

The Skagit Land Trust hosted this outing. The -only- negative was the very
understandable early start (6:30) but about 20 of us made that deadline and
were treated to the departure of all of the Trumpeters (perhaps other swans
but I personally didn't see any I was certain) taking off from Barney Lake
(East of Mt. Vernon) and circling to gain enough altitude to clear the
trees. There were also Canada Geese, Cackling Geese, Ruddy Ducks, Widgeons,
swallows, Great Blue Herons, Bald Eagles, and even a beaver!
This was our second time to attend SwanRise. We left to come back home
about 8 and I got to "find the two hours of sleep I lost" by attending. *G*

The weather cooperated - that means no rain - but the light was pretty dim
and so photography was less than easy. I did get a couple of shots I put up
on the web that you can find here

https://eamon.smugmug.com/Family-pics-from-jim/Birds-and-Stuff-from-Jim/n-4Cw3NF/Birds-Web/i-tJN2XDk/A

as well as my recent pictures taken on the Samish Flats of Eagles and SEOWs.
Just click on the left arrow to move backwards in time.
- Jim

P.S. Later on Saturday we also went to the Stanwood Snow Goose Festival to
catch the presentation on owls. So we had a very birdy day.