[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR 1/28/2024

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 17:19:41 PST 2024

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 16 of us endured a wet and windy walk at the Refuge with
light rain and temperatures in the 40's degrees Fahrenheit. There was a
Low 2'4" Tide at 2:15pm. Highlights included high count of GOLDEN CROWNED
SPARROW and YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (both Audubon's and Myrtle variety) at
the Twin Barns, First of Year VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW along the Nisqually
Estuary Trail, upwards of 6 WESTERN SANDPIPER mixed in with a large flock
of DUNLIN, and great looks of a MINK at the cut-off for the Nisqually River
Overlook from the Twin Barns Loop Trail. We've observed the Indian Plumb
blooming over the last few weeks, and this week the Salmon Berry was
blooming as well.

We observed 55 species for the day, and with FOY Violet-green Swallow, we
have seen 100 species this year. It was very interesting seeing the Mink,
which caught and mamed a Red-legged Frog, but did not eat or carry the frog
off for consumption. See our eBird report below.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center Pond
Overlook, happy birding,

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Feb 28, 2024 7:51 AM - 12:54 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.563 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Rainy and windy with temperatures
in the 40’s degrees Fahrenheit. A High 13’9” Tide at 7:39am and a Low 2’4”
Tide at 2:15 pm. Mammals seen Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Harbor Seal, and Mink.
55 species (+4 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 1
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 30
Northern Shoveler 100
Gadwall 30
Eurasian Wigeon 3 Male and female seen from Twin Barns Overlook, the
other male seen in the Surge Plain.
American Wigeon 400
Mallard 150
Northern Pintail 100
Green-winged Teal 250
Ring-necked Duck 2 Visitor Center Pond
Surf Scoter 50 McAllister Creek
Bufflehead 200
Common Goldeneye 25
Hooded Merganser 6
Common Merganser 4 Nisqually River
Red-breasted Merganser 1 McAllister Creek
Pied-billed Grebe 1 Visitor Center Pond
Mourning Dove 2 Orchard
Anna's Hummingbird 1
American Coot 76
Greater Yellowlegs 10
Dunlin 1000
Western Sandpiper 6 Mud flats north of Nisqually Estuary Trail. Peep
sized shorebirds mixed in with large groups of Dunlin. White throat,
lighter gray back, and shorter bill in comparison to Dunlin. Previously
reported.
Short-billed Gull 20
Ring-billed Gull 8
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 4
Double-crested Cormorant 2
Great Blue Heron 6
Northern Harrier 1
Bald Eagle 6
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 3
American Crow 100
Black-capped Chickadee 6
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 2
Violet-green Swallow 10 Nisqually Estuary Trail
Barn Swallow 2 Forked tail, dark throated swallows mixed in with VGSW.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Golden-crowned Kinglet 20
Brown Creeper 4
Pacific Wren 3
Marsh Wren 1
Bewick's Wren 4
European Starling 100
Varied Thrush 3 Orchard and west entrance to Twin Barns Loop Trail.
American Robin 50
Pine Siskin 2 Twin Barns
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 3
White-crowned Sparrow (pugetensis) 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow 50
Song Sparrow 17
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 Nisqually Estuary Trail, just north of dike.
Spotted Towhee 4
Red-winged Blackbird 30
Yellow-rumped Warbler 35 Twin Barns
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 4