[Tweeters] Regarding the River Otter Article from last week

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 09:19:03 PST 2024

I've witnessed this -- at Rodeo Lagoon in Marin County. That's the main
place where this occurs. Note that bird carcasses, especially feathers, can
persist for weeks or months. The daily death rate (I think just one or so)
is far lower than appearances.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 8:49 AM Vanderhoof, Jennifer <
Jennifer.Vanderhoof at kingcounty.gov> wrote:

> A year ago I visited Point Reyes, California, over Thanksgiving and

> worried some sort of mass incident had occurred. There were so many dead

> pelican carcasses strewn about a very large area near the water in one

> location I was exploring. I took photos and videos, imagining getting in

> touch with authorities to stop whatever dreadful incident was occurring.

> Then someone who saw me photographing the carcasses said she heard a rumor

> it was the river otters grabbing the birds from below. It made sense,

> because the feathers were still there, but the flesh and organs were

> entirely gone. I did not witness the otters doing this, but the landscape

> looked like a bomb had gone off in the middle of a flock of pelicans.

> *Jen Vanderhoof *

​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)