[Tweeters] Regarding the River Otter Article from last week

Vanderhoof, Jennifer Jennifer.Vanderhoof at kingcounty.gov
Tue Jan 2 08:48:39 PST 2024

A year ago I visited Point Reyes, California, over Thanksgiving and worried some sort of mass incident had occurred. There were so many dead pelican carcasses strewn about a very large area near the water in one location I was exploring. I took photos and videos, imagining getting in touch with authorities to stop whatever dreadful incident was occurring. Then someone who saw me photographing the carcasses said she heard a rumor it was the river otters grabbing the birds from below. It made sense, because the feathers were still there, but the flesh and organs were entirely gone. I did not witness the otters doing this, but the landscape looked like a bomb had gone off in the middle of a flock of pelicans.

Jen Vanderhoof