[Tweeters] Invitation to join winter 2024 Collision Monitoring Project

Josh Morris joshm at birdsconnectsea.org
Fri Jan 5 16:05:13 PST 2024

Hi all,

Birds Connect Seattle has been researching bird-window collisions in Seattle for the last three years. We’ve conducted more than 2,000 surveys around a variety of residential, institutional, and commercial buildings.

I’ve crunched some numbers on our early results. A very conservative estimate of annual collision mortality in Seattle is around 40,000 birds per year. The true toll is likely much higher.

We’re working to tighten this estimate up and we could use your help. The winter season of the collision monitoring project will run from January 15 through February 29. I’m hoping to find at least 25 more people to join the project as at home volunteers.

The commitment is fairly light: we just ask you to complete at least one week of daily bird-window collision surveys around your own home. A survey typically takes between 5 to 15 minutes to complete. You can select the week to conduct your surveys any time between Jan 15 and Feb 29. You would submit the data you collect through an online form.

You do not have to live in Seattle to join. Volunteers from around Washington are welcome 😊

If you’re interested in participating, we’ll be offing an online training next Thursday, January 11, from 6-7 pm. You can register for the training here<https://secure.everyaction.com/U_7UN8-jVU-_tVnuu41BJA2>.

You can also learn more about the project by watching the recording of our most recent prospective volunteer information session here<https://vimeo.com/895028315>.

I’m happy to answer any questions. Thanks for considering.

Josh

Joshua Morris
Urban Conservation Manager
pronouns: he/him<https://www.mypronouns.org/he-him>
desk: (206) 523-8243 ext. 113
joshm at birdsconnectsea.org<mailto:joshm at birdsconnectsea.org%0d>

[BCS-Logo-Signature]<https://birdsconnectsea.org/>

8050 35th Ave NE Seattle, WA 98115 | birdsconnectsea.org
Birds Connect Seattle, formerly Seattle Audubon, advocates and organizes for cities where people and birds thrive. Join us!<https://seattleaudubon.org/donate/>

Found a dead or injured bird? Submit a report at dbird.org<https://dbird.org/>.