[Tweeters] Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR Wednesday Walk for 1/4/2024

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:34:21 PST 2024

Dear Tweets,

Approximately twenty of us had a nice, mostly dry, first Wednesday of the
year at the Refuge with temperatures in the 40's degrees Fahrenheit and a
High 14' Tide at 10:40am. We had light rain and wind between 12 noon and
1pm. Highlights included two GREATER WHITE FRONTED GEESE with a large
flock of CACKLING GEESE, minima, along the old McAllister Creek Road;
EURASIAN WIGEON and EURASIAN X AMERICAN WIGEON HYBRID in the flooded field
adjacent to the Twing Barns; BARN SWALLOW foraging over the freshwater
marsh from the Nisqually Estuary Trail; PACIFIC LOON scoped from the
closure gate at the end of the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail on the
Nisqually Reach; and upwards of 6 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER scoped and wintering
in the far right of the surge plain from the Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Another unexpected observation was a LITTLE BROWN BAT foraging over the
pond beyond the Visitor Center Pond Overlook at 4pm while we reviewed the
sightings of the day.

The Visitor Center Pond overlook continues to be good for BUFFLEHEAD and
RING-NECKED DUCK. It took longer than usual this Autumn, but the pond is
finally full of water which works well for the diving ducks.

The Orchard was good for VARIED THRUSH and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW.

The flooded fields along the Access Road provide really great viewing of
waterfowl and raptors. We had nice light and great looks of NORTHERN
SHOVELER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, AMERICAN
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, BUFFLEHEAD, RING-NECKED DUCK, CACKLING GEESE, GREATER
WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, AMERICAN COOT, RED-TAILED HAWK and BALD EAGLE.

Entering the west entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail we observed nice
mixed flocks of SONG SPARROW, FOX SPARROW, SPOTTED TOWHEE, BEWICKS WREN,
BLACK-CAPPED and CHESTNUT BACKED CHICKADEE, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET,
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, BROWN CREEPER and DOWNY WOODPECKER. A RED-BREASTED
SAPSUCKER continued on the Big Maple Tree next to the first twin bench
overlook and plenty of vocal MARSH WREN and PACIFIC WREN were heard. We
had great looks of HAIRY WOODPECKER in the large Maple Trees in the picnic
area adjacent to the Twin Barns.

The Twin Barns Overlook was great for observing all waterfowl. We picked
up WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW in addition to the many GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW.
The overlook has been consistently good this winter for picking up HOUSE
FINCH and other finch species (AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, PINE SISKIN, and PURPLE
FINCH) with all the short Alders and Himalayan Blackberry along the slough.

The Nisqually Estuary Trail or new dike was great for shorebirds. We
observed over 1000 DUNLIN on the tideflats with a couple of wintering
WESTERN SANDPIPER in the group. We observed one BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER
roosting with GREATER YELLOWLEGS on the hide tide. Several groups of
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER were seen and heard flying back and forth from salt
to freshwater, upwards of 60 plus birds which I think is a high wintering
count for this species. On the falling tide Lynn relocated upwards of 6
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER which had been wintering in the far right corner of the
Surge Plain. Thousands of waterfowl were enjoyed, mostly AMERICAN
GREEN-WINGED TEAL and AMERICAN WIGEON. There were plenty of NORTHERN
SHOVELER, NORTHERN PINTAIL, GADWALL, HOODED MERGANSER, BUFFLEHEAD, and
COMMON GOLDENEYE to see. Three LINCOLN'S SPARROW were located in the small
flocks of sparrows. As well three WESTERN MEADOWLARK were located amongst
the numerous RED-WING BLACKBIRDS and EUROPEAN STARLINGS. A MERLIN was
perched in a small tree along Leschi Slough and upwards of 3-4 NORTHERN
HARRIER were observed. Unexpectedly, we observed three BARN SWALLOWS
foraging over the freshwater marsh.

Out on the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail we picked up SURF SCOTER,
RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, HORNED GREBE and DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT. We
observed both COMMON and RED-THROATED LOON in McAllister Creek. We had
really nice looks of both GREATER YELLOWLEGS and LEAST SANDPIPER adjacent
to the boards. Out at the end or closure gate 750 feet short of Puget
Sound Observation Platform, we scoped the reach and picked up BRANDT'S
CORMORANT on the Nisqually River channel marker. Elijah located a PACIFIC
LOON on the reach which is a little unusual. As it drifted closer, the
clean neckline and chin strap became clearer for the entire group to enjoy.

On our return, we picked up COMMON MERGANSER at the Nisqually River
Overlook. We were not able to relocate the WHITE-THROATED SPARROW heard
earlier in the day by Ellen between the Ed Center Parking Lot and the east
entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail. It's been two weeks since the
Northern Saw-whet Owl was found by Whittier without relocating this
species, and several weeks since the Red-shouldered Hawk has been heard or
seen. Earlier in the week, BARRED OWL was seen on the east side of the
Twin Barns Loop Trail.

While wrapping things up at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook we had great
looks of LITTLE BROWN BAT. An additional surprise on top of our unexpected
Barn Swallow over the freshwater marsh. I suspect there must be plenty of
Midges/Bugs for these insectivores to enjoy when the weather conditions are
mild. We observed 71 species for the day - see eBird list pasted below.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center, happy
birding!

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jan 3, 2024 7:48 AM - 4:26 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.847 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy with occasional light rain.
Temperature in the 40’s degrees Fahrenheit. A High 14’ Tide at 10:40am.
Mammals seen Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, Harbor
Seal, Sea Lion, and Little Brown Bat.
71 species (+6 other taxa)

Greater White-fronted Goose (Western) 2
Cackling Goose (minima) 640
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 50
Northern Shoveler 150
Gadwall 35
Eurasian Wigeon 1 Flooded field south of Twin Barns.
American Wigeon 700
Eurasian x American Wigeon (hybrid) 1 Twin Barns Overlook.
Mallard 250
Northern Pintail 400
Green-winged Teal (American) 1000
Ring-necked Duck 3 Visitor Center Pond.
Surf Scoter 30
Bufflehead 100
Common Goldeneye 30
Hooded Merganser 6
Common Merganser 4
Red-breasted Merganser 50
Horned Grebe 4
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 3
Anna's Hummingbird 4
American Coot (Red-shielded) 75
Black-bellied Plover 1 Surge plain.
Semipalmated Plover 6 Previously reported wintering birds in surge
plain. Peep sized plover with one breast band.
Long-billed Dowitcher 50
Greater Yellowlegs 30
Dunlin 1200
Least Sandpiper 60
Western Sandpiper 2 Previously reported wintering birds mixed in with
Dunlin.
Short-billed Gull 125
Ring-billed Gull 50
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 6
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 15
Larus sp. 100
Pacific Loon 1 Spotted by Elijah off the Nisqually Reach.
Common Loon 3
Brandt's Cormorant 5 Nisqually River Channel Marker.
Double-crested Cormorant 25
Great Blue Heron 20
Northern Harrier 3
Bald Eagle 14
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) 4
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 3
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 3
Hairy Woodpecker (Pacific) 2 Maple Trees at Twin Barns
Northern Flicker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) 2
Merlin 1 Tidal mudflats.
Steller's Jay 2 West side of McAllister Creek.
American Crow 300
Common Raven 2
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 4
Barn Swallow (American) 3 Observed foraging over freshwater marsh from
Nisqually Estuary Trail or dike. Dark topped, dark throated, one bird with
orange breast and belly. Seen with binoculars and spotting scope,
flying/foraging over freshwater marsh at 1/4 mile. One or two with forked
tails.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Golden-crowned Kinglet 20
Brown Creeper 6
Pacific Wren 6
Marsh Wren 10
Bewick's Wren 4
European Starling 150
Varied Thrush 1 Orchard.
American Robin 30
House Finch 4
Pine Siskin 2
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 4
White-crowned Sparrow (pugetensis) 1
Golden-crowned Sparrow 48
White-throated Sparrow 1 Heard by Ellen in the east side parking lot.
Song Sparrow 21
Lincoln's Sparrow 3 Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Spotted Towhee 9
Western Meadowlark 3 Nisqually Estuary Trail.
Red-winged Blackbird 70

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158005390