[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup: November - December 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 14:04:50 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

We ended 2023 with 195 species. Here are the new species from November and December:

Tufted Puffin (code 5), 1 at waterfront in flight heading south, 11-7-2023.

Gray-crowned Rosy Finch (code 5), 2 at Brackett’s Landing North, 11-7-2023 and continuing through 11-15-2023. I was told that a Merlin carried one away.

Northern Saw-whet Owl (code 5), 1 in a north Edmonds yard, 11-8-2023.

Common Redpoll (code 4), 1 in a north Edmonds yard with some Pine Siskins, 12-11-2023.

Yellow-billed Loon (code 5), 1 on the Sound in north Edmonds, 12-23-23 and continuing through the end of the year.

Tundra Swan (code 4), 1 in flight over the Lake Ballinger neighborhood, 12-24-2023.

Eurasian Wigeons have become much more difficult to find in Edmonds in recent years so it was nice to learn of a second 2023 sighting at Edmonds marsh on 12-26-2023.

Perhaps of numeric interest are the year-end totals for the last few years:

2023 195 species
2022 190 species
2021 193 species
2020 185 species
2019 184 species

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2024 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 281, including Cassin’s Finch as a new species.) If eBirders will use the details field to add critical field marks for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through December today. I will switch it out for a 2024 checklist after we look at January numbers.

Good birding and happy new year,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records