[Tweeters] An Important Lesson Learned ...

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sat Jan 6 16:56:15 PST 2024

Hi,

Here's something about backyard feeders I haven't seen mentioned ...

When we went to Mexico for two weeks our seed feeder went empty. Before
we left we were getting as many as two dozen birds at a time around and on the
ground under the feeder ... so it was expected to go empty. As soon as we
got back I refilled it and it took about 4 or 5 days before the numbers
were back up to pre-trip levels. Then, about a week after that, we had a
problem with our bird fountain and had to shut down the water. And, even
though we still had seeds in the feeders ... the numbers of birds dropped
way off again. Then a few days later after the pump was repaired the
numbers came back up. There was water right at the base of the fountain -
but not bubbling/moving.

===> Having a fountain, with water moving constantly, is important!

- Jim in Burlington

P.S. Of course, the down side of having so many birds coming to our
backyard is the cost of seed. Grumble, grumble, grumble. *G*