[Tweeters] Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR - Wednesday Walk for 1/10/2024

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 11:16:59 PST 2024

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 25 of us had a dry morning, and a damper afternoon at the
Refuge with temperatures in the 30's to 40's degrees Fahrenheit and a high
Low 9'4" Tide at 11:07am and a High 13'5" Tide at 3:18pm. Highlights
included first of year BARRED OWL in the stand of woods behind the flag
pole, AMERICAN BITTERN in the slough adjacent to the Twin Barns Overlook,
NORTHERN SHRIKE perched proudly in the freshwater marsh, and a couple
WESTERN SANDPIPER mixed in with high counts of LEAST SANDPIPER and DUNLIN
on the mud flats and surge plain. We also had nice views of River Otter in
McAllister Creek.

The Orchard had good numbers of AMERICAN ROBIN, VARIED THRUSH, SPOTTED
TOWHEE and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. Ken located an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
adjacent to the technician building and our stragglers enjoyed a large
mixed flock of GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, BLACK-CAPPED
CHICKADEE, and BROWN CREEPER at the slough adjacent to the Green Gate
across from the Orchard.

Jon spotted the BARRED OWL roosting in the stand of woods behind the flag
pole, we initially viewed the owl along the Access Road. The Access Road
was also good for waterfowl and raptors. NORTHERN SHOVELER, NORTHERN
PINTAIL, AMERICAN WIGEON, AMERICAN GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and AMERICAN COOT.
We had good looks of BALD EAGLE and RED-TAILED HAWK. A few of our group had
up close eye level views of a PACIFIC WREN in the bushes between the west
parking lot and the road. A second flock of Golden-crowned Sparrows was
seen at the green gate to the restricted old McAllister Creek Access Road.

The west entrance to the Twin Barns Loop Trail had nice views of BROWN
CREEPER-family group, RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER, Intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER,
and RINGED-NECK DUCK. BEWICKS WREN, MARSH WREN, PINE SISKIN, and DOWNY
WOODPECKER were also viewed. Jon and others spotted a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK
that flew out from the Riparian Forest and west across the flooded fields
south of the Twin Barns.

The Twin Barns Overlook was great for AMERICAN BITTERNl. Laurie spotted
the Bittern flying into the slough adjacent to the observation platform.
Thank goodness she did, as the bird immediately disappeared with its
excellent camouflaged plumage despite standing in plain sight next to
Canary Reed Grass. HOUSE FINCH and additional waterfowl were also seen.

The Nisqually Estuary Trail or new dike had great looks of NORTHERN HARRIER
and NORTHERN SHRIKE on both freshwater and tidal sides. Ken first spotted
the Shrike in the freshwater marsh, it appears to be a first year bird with
brown scaling on breast - see photo's in eBird list, and it was very
visible throughout the day. Not as many as last week, but plenty of
waterfowl to pick through, and our third flock of Golden-crowned Sparrow.
On our return during the High Tide we got better looks of the high count
DUNLIN flock.

The Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail was great for closer views of WESTERN
SANDPIPER mixed in with a high count of 100 plus LEAST SANDPIPER on the
mudflats adjacent to the trail. We also had really nice looks of COMMON
LOON, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, SURF SCOTER, HORNED GREBE, COMMON GOLDEN-EYE
and BUFFLEHEAD. Tom spotted a EURASIAN WIGEON in a large flock of American
Wigeon in McAllister Creek south of the McAllister Creek Viewing Platform.
Both GREATER YELLOWLEGS and SPOTTED SANDPIPER were seen along the way. We
enjoyed a River Otter eating fish along the west bank of the McAllister
Creek at the confluence with Shannon Slough. At the closure gate (should
be open by February 5th) at the end of the boardwalk we scoped the reach
and picked up RED-THROATED LOON and BRANDT'S CORMORANT. Jon and others
spotted WHITE-WINGED SCOTER mixed in with a large group of SURF SCOTERS.

Good numbers of SHORT-BILLED GULL, RING-BILLED GULL, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL,
and WESTERN X GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL (Olympic) were easy to view on the tide
flats and reach.

On our return we picked up a single COMMON MERGANSER in the Nisqually River
at the Nisqually River Overlook. And observed another nice flock/family
group of Brown Creeper on the east side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail.

For the day we observed 67 species and have seen 81 species this year.
Mammals seen included Easter Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed
Deer, River Otter and Harbor Seal. eBird list pasted below with location
notes and photos embedded.

Until next week when we meet again at 8am at the Visitor Center Pond
Overlook, good birding.

Shep
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Jan 10, 2024 7:25 AM - 3:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy with temperatures in the
30’s to 40’s degrees Fahrenheit. Light rain at 1pm. A high Low 9’4” Tide at
11:07am and a High 13’5” at 3:18pm. Mammals seen Eastern Cotton-tailed
Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, River Otter in
McAllister Creek, and Harbor Seal.
67 species (+4 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima) 1000
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 35
Northern Shoveler 150
Gadwall 4
Eurasian Wigeon 1 McAllister Creek south of McAllister Creek
Observation Platform.
American Wigeon 800
Mallard 250
Northern Pintail 239
Green-winged Teal (American) 500
Ring-necked Duck 2 Visitor Center Pond
Surf Scoter 50
White-winged Scoter 1 Nisqually Reach.
Bufflehead 200
Common Goldeneye 30
Hooded Merganser 4
Common Merganser 1 Nisqually River
Red-breasted Merganser 30
Horned Grebe 6
American Coot 90
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 30
Dunlin 1000
Least Sandpiper 250 Counted, possible more. Observed several flocks.
One large flock of over 100 birds foraging on mudflats on the east side of
the McAllister Creek Observation Platform with two Western Sandpipers in
the group. Two groups of 50 Least Sandpiper flying around tributaries
adjacent to the confluence of McAllister Creek and Shannon Slough, two
flocks of upwards of 50 birds at the marsh plain adjacent to the closure
gate at the end of the boardwalk.
Western Sandpiper 2 Two to three birds viewed. Two seen with Least
Sandpiper flock. Photo. One seen with a group of 1000 Dunlin. Larger peep
then Least Sandpiper with white throat, longer less pointed bill, lighter
gray back then Least and Dunlin.
Short-billed Gull 100
Ring-billed Gull 100
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 8
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 20
Larus sp. 100
Red-throated Loon 1 Nisqually Reach
Common Loon 3
Brandt's Cormorant 10
Double-crested Cormorant 25
American Bittern 1 Slough adjacent to Twin Barns Observation Platform.
Great Blue Heron 20
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Flooded field south of Twin Barns.
Bald Eagle 12
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Barred Owl 1 Stand of woods behind flag pole.
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-breasted Sapsucker 1 West side of Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Downy Woodpecker (Pacific) 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 5
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) 1 Flicker with Red and
Black Malar Strip seen from west side of Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Peregrine Falcon 1 Old dike foot print on tide flats.
Northern Shrike 1 Freshwater Marsh.
Steller's Jay 1 West side of McAllister Creek.
American Crow 100
Black-capped Chickadee 5
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Golden-crowned Kinglet 15
Brown Creeper 8
Pacific Wren 2
Marsh Wren 4
Bewick's Wren 1
European Starling 100
Varied Thrush 4 Orchard and Loop Trail.
American Robin 19
House Finch 1 Twin Barns Observation Platform.
Pine Siskin 2 West side of Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Fox Sparrow (Sooty) 4
Dark-eyed Junco 1 Orchard.
Golden-crowned Sparrow 40
Song Sparrow 19