birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jan 11 13:49:09 PST 2024

Tweets - After a beautiful pre-dawn, it was dark and cold this morning.  For parts of the morning we had a few drops, and quite a few snow pellets, and occasional cold winds.  The starting temp was 33 degrees, and it was 40 by 11:30, but I'm pretty sure it was colder somewhere in the middle there.  Not terribly surprisingly, it was not terribly birdy.

Highlights:
     Trumpeter Swan - Flyby of 6 birds, heading south.  First of Year (FOY)
     Wood Duck - One male in the slough near the lake (FOY)
     Pileated Woodpecker - Heard many times, never seen (FOY)
     Merlin - One flew over the Pea Patch (FOY)
     Varied Thrush - Pair SW of the mansion (FOY)

Heard-only VIRGINIA RAIL and heard-only HAIRY WOODPECKER were also FOY, as were some PINE SISKIN that turned up at the Rowing Club parking lot just after most everyone else had left.

No owls this morning, and a rather poor showing of raptors, wrens, and finches.

Misses today included Anna's Hummingbird, Killdeer, Cooper's Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Shrike, Marsh Wren, and Purple Finch.

For the day, 52 species.  For 2024, we're at 61 species.

= Michael Hobbs
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm