[Tweeters] Cold weather bird behavior - RCKIs and ANHUs

Tom Benedict benedict.t at comcast.net
Mon Jan 15 10:19:15 PST 2024

Just now, I spent 15 minutes watching two calypte Anna battle for dominance of one of our nectar feeders. Back and forth they chased, one would get a sip then be knocked off by the other, then they would chase some more. Even if I approached the feeder, they continued their combat, ignoring me. At one point they were on the ground (concrete sidewalk) and one had the other pinned down. I was afraid that avian homicide might be imminent, so I intervened and they broke up for a short while, until they tangled, literally, in mid-air and tumbled to the ground again. Maybe I should have followed the prime directive and not stepped in, but my 'instinct’ caused me to act! Eventually they shared the feeder, but only for a few moments. Then they retreated to adjacent trees.

My surprised was that I expected that the birds' low energy reserves would lead them to tolerate competition, at least temporarily. I’ve read other accounts of battling calypte anna and I seem to recall that larger groups tend to cooperate more than smaller groups. I haven’t seen more than two at a time this winter, but we have three feeders on different sides of the house so there may be others around which aren’t fighting.

Tom Benedict
Seahurst, WA

> On Jan 15, 2024, at 10:04, Paul Bannick <paul.bannick at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have also seen them do this in nice weather, although in those cases I assumed it was for a good feeding opportunity

> Sent from Gmail Mobile

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 9:19 AM Dennis Paulson <dennispaulson at comcast.net <mailto:dennispaulson at comcast.net>> wrote:

>> Eric,

>> It has long been noticed that Golden-crowned Kinglets come down to the ground to forage in really adverse weather conditions, so we can add Ruby-crowned to that list as well.

>> Be sure to let us know if anyone sees a Brown Creeper doing this!

>> Dennis Paulson

>> Seattle

>>> On Jan 14, 2024, at 9:40 PM, Eric Ellingson <esellingson at gmail.com <mailto:esellingson at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Most Ruby-crowned Kinglets I've seen are usually quickly going about in bushes and trees, sometimes way high up, other times closer to eye level. However, even at eye level, they can be difficult birds to get a photo of. Also, the scarlet crown is not always seen on the males or if seen just as a red flash.

>>> So it was fascinating to see two of these hopping along the ground on the trail at Point Whitehorn. They seemed oblivious to us standing in the middle of the path. They would come toward us passing by our feet and continuing along the path.

>>> The scarlet on the head was very visible but not raised as when agitated. This and the behavior of feeding and hopping along on the ground are not the norm. My guess about this ground-level feeding is that with the high winds and freezing weather (into single digits) their food of insects was blown to the ground out of the shrubs and trees they would have been in. Who, knows? Also, maybe a way to conserve energy?

>>> Camera in hand, as usual, I could not pass up the opportunity. I took many shots and videos of them hopping and foraging. Often they would come toward me getting too close for my camera to focus on them. If I had a small insect in my hand I'm guessing they would have hopped into my had to eat it.

>>> The 29-second video is comprised of some close-ups showing the scarlet crown and foraging successes. Watch it here: https://flic.kr/p/2pswNca Enjoy.

>>> What unusual behaviors have you seen during this very cold and windy past few days?

>>> Eric Ellingson

>>> 360-820-6396 <tel:360-820-6396>

>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericellingson/