[Tweeters] Cold weather bird behavior - RCKI's

Scott Ramos nearpost at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:17:30 PST 2024

This past Sunday, it was in the high teens at Magnuson Park and the cold
certainly did seem to modify some bird behavior. As Eric mentioned,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets--at least half the birds I saw--were foraging on the
ground, some walking toward me to the point I could no longer focus my
camera. They only seemed to notice my presence when I attempted to drop to
a lower profile.
RCKI - https://flic.kr/p/2psBtci
Along the Lake Washington shoreline, while overhanging branches were laden
with icicles built from splashing waves, the ground up to about a meter
above the water line was not frozen, unlike the rest of the open areas. As
a result, there were several species that came to feed along the shore that
are normally not seen there. Well, Song Sparrows were abundant as they
always are, but there were also several Fox Sparrow, Golden-crowned
Sparrow, even a Bewick's Wren feeding around the pebbles.
The hard freeze over the weekend softened some of the rose hips and a
couple of Spotted Towhee were taking advantage. Normally, no one bothers
with rose hips, they are just too hard.
SPTO - https://flic.kr/p/2psG7tt
There are often many Killdeer along the cobble beach adjacent the Sail
Pavilion in the north end of the park. On Sunday, there were none. Instead
several Killdeer were out in the middle of the grassy sportfields. Why?
These fields were frozen solid.
And, the huge flocks of Short-billed Gulls, sometimes numbering ~200 birds,
that normally cruise the sportsfields looking for worms, were absent. Why?
Because these fields were frozen solid. A few dozen were on the swim
platform but all the others were AWOL.

Scott Ramos
Seattle