[Tweeters] Bird behavior in winter

Linda Phillips linda_phillips1252 at msn.com
Mon Jan 15 17:14:08 PST 2024

Hello Tweeters,

I have enjoyed reading people’s observations of odd bird behavior during this cold snap.
My story relates to Fox Sparrows. For the most part FOSP in my yard keep a low profile at the edge of the woods. The past few days they have joined my regular back yard birds around the feeder. Most of the time I see a single bird but lately 3 have been foraging in the wood chips under my sunflower seed feeders.
This morning I observed a FOSP flatten its breast against the frozen chips (as if incubating) then step back and pick food up from the surface it had just defrosted.

Enjoying the birds in Kenmore,
Linda Phillips