[Tweeters] Bird Behavior in winter

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Jan 17 12:28:56 PST 2024

Hi,

We're seeing lots of finches and Juncos, a few doves, a few Towhees,
and even a Flicker or two here in our backyard (seed feeder and bushes
used as "waiting places"). I have even caught a Junco pecking at the
snow on top of the branch it was sitting on - presumably getting a
small drink of water. The numbers are good - not noticeably up nor
down from 'normal' (whatever that is this time of year) ... so the
weather not really affecting the passerines that frequent our feeder.
I have not seen (just not caught?) a hummer today. It has been
snowing on and off since sometime after midnight. The perch for the
hummer feeder is about 2" deep so I'm guessing it's not in use
today. *G* I'll find my boots and go out and clear it off - but
the nectar inside may/may not be frozen from the temps last night.

- sheltering in place in Burlington ... Jim