[Tweeters] Seattle redpolls

pan panmail at mailfence.com
Fri Jan 19 11:39:53 PST 2024

Hi,Tweets,

Common Redpolls continue at Seattle's Green Lake this week, along the east shore.  This morning, I found about 15 American Goldfinches feeding in birches near 66th St., then walking south, saw some birders intent on something.  Thanks to Ed and Delia and Aubrey (?), I got to see a half dozen siskins low in alders.  Walking south and back, I found more goldfinches just south of 66th St., and this time found two Common Redpolls with what was eventually 40 or more goldfinches.  The group was flighty, crows and a Cooper's Hawk being about, but some/most usually returned to the birches or nearby willows.

The lake still is mostly ice covered, though with a thin layer of water on the ice.  The grazing Canada Geese had at least one Cackling, and the wigeon had at least one male Eurasian among them.

19 January, 2024,

Alan Grenon
Seattle
panmail AT mailfence period com