[Tweeters] Massive Horned Lark number in Vancouver Lowlands, Clark County

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 03:25:42 PST 2024

Hi Tweeters,

Just a quick fyi that over the last several days, there has been a massive
number of Horned Larks in the Vancouver Lowlands west of Vancouver Lake and
east of Frenchman's Bar Park. Cindy M recorded an unprecedented 198 (!!!!)
there yesterday on Columbia Land Trust property which is CLOSED to the
public. One of the areas where they have been is the crane and goose field
which is visible looking east from the south end of the road and trail at
Frenchman's Bar park . I don't think it's known yet if there is a better
part of the day to see them or if they commute back and forth across
the Columbia River from Sauvie Island, Oregon. I saw an adult Ross's Goose
there on Monday morning in a flock of 4000 Snow Geese so it's not just all
about the Horned Larks!

On Monday, there was a flock of 23 Horned Larks foraging and flying around
along the roadway along the east side (marker 13 and thereabouts) at the
River S section of Ridgefield NWR.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward and everywhere else for that matter.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA