birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jan 25 17:24:31 PST 2024

Tweets - What a difference a week makes.  Instead of me solo, there were ten of us today.  And the weather was remarkably, notably, delightful with temps 43-50 degrees, no fog, little wind, and no precipitation after dawn; fabulous compared with the dismal weather on the 18th.  It was birdy for a while too, though after the first 1.5 hours, it got notably quiet.
Highlights:     Scaup sp. - Pair WAY out on the lake, too far for ID.  Our first scaup of the year, but leaving it as a slash     Anna's Hummingbird - Several males perched up and singing today after 2 months of absence or near absence
     Four woodpecker day - Though both Hairy and Pileated were heard-only (PIWO *may* have been DISTANTLY seen)
     Black-capped Chickadee - Several singing
     Bewick's Wren - Several singing
     Varied Thrush - Heard one or two singing just after 8:00
     Song Sparrow - Also singing
     House Finch - A few heard and a very few flying overhead were our only finches of any kind

In contrast to last week's dozens of FOX SPARROWS, today there were probably less than 10.
I did a late scan of the lake, hoping to get a better look at the scaup.  No dice there, but I did find at least two RUDDY DUCKS, First of Year (FOY).  We did not have a Ruddy last year.
Misses today included Ring-necked Duck, Virginia Rail, Ring-billed Gull (at least, none positively ID'd), Cooper's Hawk, Bushtit, and Marsh Wren.
For the day, 51 species counting the scaup sp.
= Michael Hobbs= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com= www.marymoor.org.birding.htm