[Tweeters] Hooded Merganser/Rough-skinned Newt update

John Riegsecker jriegsecker at pobox.com
Fri Mar 1 15:24:34 PST 2024

All,

In February 2014, I photographed a female Ring-necked Duck eating a
rough-skinned Newt at Ridgefield.

https://skygardener.zenfolio.com/p657549207/h24deca4f#h3eb0569f

I of course was curious of the outcome. I asked Dennis Paulson about
this, and he and Gary Shugart were very helpful in pointing me to the
literature and getting in contact with some other folks.

Don McVay sent me an email referencing an early Tweeters post:

https://tweetersarchives.org/2003/March/12140357How%20do%20they%20do%20that%3F.html

Begin Quote:

"The Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa) on Vancouver Island, British
Columbia, has low levels of TTX. . . . Skin extracts from these newts
are at leat one thousand times less toxic than those obtained from
Rough-skinned Newts from the Willamette Valley, Oregon (Brodie and
Brodie, 1991). Studies suggest that they have lost most or all of the
TTX toxicity. It is of interest that the Common Garter Snake
(Thamnophis sirtalis) a newt predator that is resistant to newt poison
in mainland areas, has either lost or not evolved significant resistance
on Vancouver Island, where newt toxicity is low."

The full reference citation: Brodie, E.D., III, and E.D. Brodie, Jr.
1991. Evolutionary response of predators to dangerous prey: Reduction
of toxicity of newts and resistance of garter snakes in island
populations. Evolution, 45:221-224.

End Quote:

More along those lines here:

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060060&type=printable

My best guess would be that you are far enough north that the newts are
not very toxic and the Hooded Merganser is fine.

On 3/1/2024 1:16 PM, Sego Jackson wrote:

> This morning, I (again) happened to see from our bedroom window that the

> Hooded Merganser was thrashing away at a Rough-skinned Newt. This time I

> was determined to see if it swallowed it or not. After watching for 10

> minutes, it drifted behind some vegetation on the near edge of the pond,

> and out of sight. So I ran outside and positioned myself where I could

> watch it and within 5 minutes it swallowed the newt.  So it is consuming

> them and not just playing around.

> And assuming it swallowed the first two times too, what I note is that

> from first noticing the merganser has a newt to it having “finished the

> job” has been about 15 minutes each time. I have no idea how long the

> merganser had hold of the newt before I noticed in each case.

> Anyone know what a merganser typically does with prey? Is the thrashing

> the prey about and time to get it down typical for other merganser prey?

> Sego Jackson

> Whidbey Island

> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

John Riegsecker