[Tweeters] Hooded Merganser/Rough-skinned Newt update

pond at whidbey.com pond at whidbey.com
Sat Mar 2 17:53:42 PST 2024

Than you John, and also to Dan McDougall-Treacy for taking the time to share what you know about this. Very appreciated.

I am fascinated by this (and concerned for our prized newt population. Other than your photo of the Ring-necked Duck at Ridgefield, and Chantal Jacques photo from 2017 (location isn't identified), here are a couple of themes I see:

PNW Islands: Whidbey, Orcas, Salt Spring, Vancouver.
Thrashing
10 minutes or so of thrashing before swallowing

We stock trout in our pond each year for the wildlife - I am going to have to pay more attention to the process of Mergansers eating trout. I can't say I've ever seen them with a newt-sized trout before. Maybe the deed is done quickly and without the attention-getting thrashing.

Thanks again,

Sego Jackson
Whidbey Island