[Tweeters] A most unique and beautiful RTHA

Eric Ellingson esellingson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 11:09:34 PST 2024

My first recorded encounter with this hawk was 10 years ago. I've seen it
on and off over the past decade but then a couple of years ago I did not
see it again until late last winter briefly through the woods. I was glad
it had not died. It is such a special sight. Yesterday I found it again in
great lighting. With my current camera setup, I could get a decent close-up
look from quite a ways away.

The almost normal head color, streaks of white in the crown like an old
guy, the black/white keyboard look on its wings and the stunning red tail
make it a real beauty.

The only place I've ever seen it is on Grandview in Ferndale between
October and March.

About Leucism: An uncommon sighting (here or anywhere) is a leucistic
Red-tailed
Hawk. Leucism is a genetic condition in which parts or all of an animal's
body surface lack cells capable of producing any type of pigment.

Leucism is similar to albinism (and frequently mistaken for it), however,
albinos cannot create melanin, one specific type of pigment. Leucistic
individuals usually have normal eye color, unlike albinos, which generally
have red eyes.

Photos of it HERE <https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericellingson/>

Eric Ellingson

360-820-6396