birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Mar 7 18:03:02 PST 2024

Tweets - It started out frosty this morning, but it was sunny and the day warmed up nicely, with no wind and dry air.  It was birdy too.
Highlights:     Greater White-fronted Goose - Today the two birds were below the slough for close looks     Cackling Goose - About a dozen this week.  Last week was the first time since mid-September that we had missed them     Hooded Merganser - One from Lake Platform, after 3 week absence     Common Merganser - Many flying north, perhaps 32 total
     Sharp-shinned Hawk - Small adult, presumably a male based on size, at Rowing Club.  First of Year (FOY)
     Red-tailed Hawk - One near our parked cars, mobbed by crows, with a dying LONG-TAILED WEASEL in its talons
     Barn Owl - One, very active, East Meadow and Model Airplane Field, before sunrise
     Five woodpecker day - Though PILEATED was heard-only.  Lots of drumming today
     HUTTON'S VIREO - Singing bird just SW of the windmill, unseen again
     Varied Thrush - One near the windmill, our first since January
     Western Meadowlark - One north of Fields 7-8-9

We had just two (unidentified) gulls today, flying over at 6:30 a.m.
At the Rowing Club, we tracked down a drumming RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER.  While we tried to be surreptitious in getting looks, a second sapsucker landed on the fence rail within eight feet of us, and the two birds remained still for at least a minute.  We got cell-phone photos!
Misses today included Rock Pigeon, Short-billed Gull, Ring-billed Gull, Glaucous-winged Gull, Northern Shrike, Tree Swallow (seen 17 of last 28 years), Bushtit, Purple Finch, and Pine Siskin.
Despite that long list of misses, we did have 55 species plus the unidentified gulls.  Our 2024 list is at 76 species.
Possible arrivals expected or semi-expected in the next two weeks include Rufous Hummingbird, Say's Phoebe, Tree Swallow, Violet-green Swallow, Mountain Bluebird, and Savannah Sparrow.
= Michael Hobbs= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com= www.marymoor.org/birding.htm