[Tweeters] Where do California jays go in the winter?

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Mon Mar 11 20:35:19 PDT 2024

Every fall we get a massive movement of both California Scrub Jays and Steller's Jays moving east up the Columbia River Gorge. Often there will be a good number of Lewis's Woodpeckers with them. I checked eBird for the high count for all three species here in Skamania County and they all came from the St. Cloud Recreation Area on Sept. 24, 2017, 58 Lewis's Woodpeckers, 450 Steller's Jays and 150 California Scrub Jays. I have seen numbers like this there on several occasions where the movement was a steady stream of birds for several days in a row but haven't found where they are moving too yet. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA