[Tweeters] Wiley Slough Update (Michael Scuderi)

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Sun Mar 17 12:32:57 PDT 2024

Michael Scuderi and Rob Faucett - and all,

Although there is a lot of controversy about levees and how they fail,
and I'm not taking sides here ... the bottom line for the Wiley Slough
Dikes is that the trees and brush have -already- been removed. About
the only unknown is "how far out towards the river did they go with
that part of the project?" ... and perhaps "how much more will they do?".
One question I have about that is "so if the dike fails ... what's the
damage?" As long as the fields protected by the inner dike aren't
flooded who cares? Oh wait - perhaps even that flooding isn't important?
Even if the dikes protecting the Wiley Slough area from the main river
channel fail ... does that matter?

If I have learned anything at all in my following of this project it is
that "public access" and "user community preferences" are at or very near
the bottom of the priority list.
For example - some time in October or at the latest early November they
stopped all work on the project (can't work on this in the Winter) and that
cessation is almost 6 months long. However - there was no attempt to
provide public access during that long work stoppage. "Providing public
access during the Winter would increase the cost of the project." My
response to that is a big *Phooey!*
Then there is the fact that the project has been delayed (dragged out)
for longer than the original total length of time for the bid. Twice as
long so I say "Double Phooey!".
- Frustrated ... Jim