[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 3-21-2024

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Mar 22 17:32:25 PDT 2024

Tweeters,
Eight of us showed up at the JBLM Eagle's Pride GC, all of us dressed for rainy weather. The sun was out when we started, and we never had a drop of rain during our entire outing. Temp range 42degF - 54degF start to finish, with partly sunny skies starting out and clouding over toward the finish. Besides some of the numbers of individual species, one highlight was a flyover of a GREATER YELLOWLEGS. The only mammals were three black-tailed deer on the 13th hole. (Pete found 48 golf balls to donate to the VA center at American Lake.)

At the driving range tee, the first-of-season (FOS) TREE SWALLOWS were present, with more at Hodge Lake. (The nest boxes at Hodge Lake have been repaired and Tree Swallows were already claiming housing.) The only WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS were also at the driving range area, along with GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, HOUSE FINCHES, and the first of three RED-TAILED HAWKS.

The 9th hole pond held RING-NECKED DUCKS and a flyover of FOS BAND-TAILED PIGEONS. A pair of WOOD DUCKS were at the maintenance pond, which is an unusual place to see them, and a couple of MALLARDS were also there, along with AMERICAN WIDGEONS. Besides another WOOD DUCK pair, Hodge Lake had more Mallards, a pair (?) of PIED-BILLED GREBES, and a handful of BUFFLEHEADS.

Relatively abundant songbirds included PINE SISKINS, PACIFIC WRENS, BEWICK'S WRENS, AMERICAN ROBINS (!), and SPOTTED TOWHEES.

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM starting in March. Starting point is the Driving Range building, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. (Turn left immediately after entering the parking lot to take the road leading to the driving range building.) Upcoming walks include the following:

* April 18

* May 16

* June 20

>From the eBird PNW report:

39 species

Wood Duck 4

American Wigeon 2

Mallard 5

Ring-necked Duck 5

Bufflehead 7

Pied-billed Grebe 2 Hodge Lake

Band-tailed Pigeon 3

Mourning Dove 7

Anna's Hummingbird 5

Greater Yellowlegs 1

Red-tailed Hawk 3

Northern Flicker 7

Steller's Jay 9

California Scrub-Jay 4

American Crow 4

Common Raven 1

Black-capped Chickadee 16

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 22

Tree Swallow 17

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6

Golden-crowned Kinglet 12

Red-breasted Nuthatch 5

Brown Creeper 1

Pacific Wren 15

Bewick's Wren 12

European Starling 28

Varied Thrush 11

American Robin 110 Located in nearly every fairway we passed by.

House Finch 9

Purple Finch 8

Pine Siskin 40

Fox Sparrow 2

Dark-eyed Junco 12

White-crowned Sparrow 2

Golden-crowned Sparrow 6

Song Sparrow 11

Spotted Towhee 16

Red-winged Blackbird 6

Yellow-rumped Warbler 5

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS165637453&data=05%7C02%7C%7C481309f96d9946e8a5d808dc4aca54a2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638467480061963030%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=JOz2Vr%2Bwv0Sz%2FqwTPj6R0YDu0CDc5e0DeIolpu%2F%2BdrY%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S165637453>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com